Saturday, March 27, 2010

Finca Flichman Gestos Shiraz 2008

This is the second Shiraz from Argentina that I've had recently, and didn't enjoy.

Right off the bat it has a cheap smell, and a harsh, woody palate. Cheap oakiness combined with a rough, smoky flavour makes for a memorable experience - for all the wrong reasons. My fiancĂ©e wouldn't even drink it. She had one sip and it sent a shiver through her, and not in a good way. I bravely choked it down, reluctant to pour £6 down the drain. It didn't really get any better.

I don't feel I'm informed enough to generalize, but maybe Shiraz/Syrah isn't Argentina's thing? Or maybe it's not my thing. They obviously have their Malbec, and they do good blends, but I thought why not try something off the beaten path once in a while? Well, here's why not.

Gestos Shiraz 2008
Medonza, Argentina
Waitrose
£5.49 (£6.99)
1.5/5


4 comments:

  1. Hi Tim...checking your recent notes..just a thought...don't risk another disappointment for your price limit...drink water for a day(smile)...and try something more expensive...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barry,

    Well, you may be right, but you know, it's a tough job and someone's got to do it and all that...

    I am also aware of the price range...I don't expect brilliance - but garbage is not acceptable. I have expensive stuff sitting in my wine rack (funnily enough - it usually doesn't get blogged about). The £6 - £10 price bracket is fascinating and challenging, and that's what this blog is all about...:-)

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tim...I hear what you are saying...I just felt the suffering(smile)...now I know you have something to sooth the troubled palate...I can rest easy....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Premium wines and fine wine merchants providing good red wine, argentinian, chilean, Australian, french, best italian wines. Some of the most expensive wines to order online.
    best italian wines

    ReplyDelete