Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Penfolds Koonunga Hill Autumn Riesling 2008

Being a Riesling junkie, I couldn't not try this. Good producer (although they do make plonk as well), cool bottle, offer price...

Apparently this wine has a dash of 'Traminer' grapes in it. Interesting. Can't say I noticed it though.

I found this a bit disappointing. It has good initial Riesling character - limey zestiness and the like, but it tapers off into a disappointing, vegetal finish. Supposed 'honey' character is more like crystal sugar (although I wouldn't say it's sweet), and it's just a bit of a bore. I'm probably being too harsh - it's not bad and I would drink it again if it were offered, but you can do better at this price with a bit of nosing around.

Autumn Riesling 2008
South Australia
Waitrose
£6.99 (£8.99)
2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment