Monday, October 18, 2010

Bassermann-Jordan Pfalz Riesling 2009

I went to Waitrose the other day to buy a good Riesling. I had the Dr. Loosen Ürziger Würzgarten in mind, but its price had crept up to £13.50. Next to it on the shelf was this one from Dr. von Bassermann-Jordan, at just under £10. It wasn't really the price that made me choose it - I have had the Dr. Loosen before and I know it is good. I just felt like trying something new.

This was really good actually. It is from the Rheinland-Pfalz state in Germany which has a rich wine-growing history. Read all about it here. The wine has solid structure with its acidity, and it had a bit of weight behind it - really moreish. Random Aussie Bloke and I finished it off rather quickly, and it went surprisingly well with a ripe French Brie. I have always felt that white wines match so much better with cheese than red...

It was just under £10 in the shop (can't remember exactly - £9-something).

Riesling 2009
Deidesheim, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
Waitrose
3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment