Saturday, November 22, 2008

Familae Piccini Chianti Riserva 2005

These Piccini guys get around don't they? I think I've had 3 or 4 supermarket Chiantis recently, and I've just worked out they are all "Piccini". They seem to be in the business of producing a ripe, fruity style of Chianti that is easy drinking and affordable but retains some character, which is just what you want from the supermarket.

This example is not too different from Piccini's "Selezione Oro" brand, which I covered here. I'd say the only difference is that this one has a bit more Chianti character...a bit mustier and a bit heftier on the palate.

Price-wise, this is exceptional. It is certainly worth the "half price" of £4.99. The reason for the quotes is that sometimes Sainsbury's has things on for half-price that I've never seen for full price (see here), and I wonder if it ever actually sells for full price. But I've never looked for this particular wine before, and I'm going to keep an eye out.

Piccini
Familae Piccini Chianti Riserva 2005
Tuscany, Italy
£4.99 (£9.99)
Sainsbury's
3/5

2 comments:

  1. I'm down to the last glass in the bottle and have thoroughly enjoyed it! (better than 3 out 5 - more like 4 and a bit..)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps it's the 2006 you're drinking: http://timswineblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/familae-piccini-chianti-riserva-2006.html

    I still gave it a 3 though - I tend to mark low. 3 is pretty good though - good enough for me to buy it again.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete