Sunday, June 14, 2009

St. Hallett Barossa Rosé 2008

I'm just going to come out and say it. This is hideous. It smells like melting plastic, and tastes like diesel oil.

I'm surprised and I'm not. Not surprised because I recently saw a "tweet" from Oz Clarke basically dissing Australian rosé. It kind of made me think...have I tried many Australian rosés? I haven't actually, and I really couldn't tell you the last one I had. I tend to drink a lot of French or Spanish ones, and I think if I've had any New World rosés recently they've been Chilean. I wasn't avoiding Aussie rosés on purpose, it's just that I tend to stick to things I like.

On the other hand, I'm surprised because St. Hallett is a good producer. I'm a huge fan of their white Poacher's Blend, and their red Gamekeeper's Reserve is a favourite among wine critics, even winning a Decanter World Wine Awards regional trophy.

It's a very full bodied rosé. These types are meant to be drunk with food. We had it at a picnic, and admittedly all the food was gone by the time we tried it. Is that an excuse for its repulsiveness? I don't really think so. Even my Aussie friend (and picnic companion) said he's never had an Australian rosé that he's liked.

Here's a challenge to everyone: tell me about an Australian rosé that's actually good. We'd like to know about it.

Barossa Valley Rosé 2008
Barossa Valley, Australia
Waitrose
£5.49 (21% off)
1/5

No comments:

Post a Comment