Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Frontaura Dominio de Valdelacasa 2005

This wine is made in the Toro region of Spain from 100% Tempranillo grapes (or, as they call them in the Toro region, 'Tinto de Toro').

I originally bought this because the dude in Philglas & Swiggot reckoned it would be a good match for Beef Rendang. I'm not sure how he ended up at that conclusion (beef = red I guess?), but I had my suspicions and ended up buying a white as well, just in case.

We had the white instead, and I saved this red for another day. Today was that day. It has a strong strawberry-scented nose, along with maybe a bit of chocolate. Rich, deep flavour, good tannins and a nice long finish. It's a Crianza, which means it spent at least 6 months in oak, but it's not overly oaky like some Spanish reds tend to be.

I can't remember what I paid for this, but looking around it goes for around £15, which rings a bell. A bit more than I usually dole out, and I can't say that I haven't had anything just as good for under £10. It's a good wine though - I wouldn't say it's not worth it.

Dominio de Valdelacasa 2005
DO Toro, Spain
~£15
4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment