Sunday, June 28, 2009

Villa Maria Private Bin Riesling 2008

I'm gradually becoming a Riesling addict. It's tasty, refreshing, versatile and affordable. It comes in loads of different styles, from dry to off-dry to sweet, from lighter styles such as German Kabinett to fuller, riper styles such as Spatlese and Auslese. It is great either with food or without, and it even makes decent sparkling wine.

I had avoided trying this particular Kiwi wine for a while, thinking it would be plonkish. I'm not sure why - I guess because it's an entry-level wine and for me Riesling usally gets a lot better if you start in the £8 - £10 range (and get them when they're on offer).

Although the regular price of this wine is creeping up towards £8, I feel that you shouldn't really have to pay more than £6 for anything from the Private Bin range, simply because they don't taste like they are worth more than that. This Reisling has good acidity and typical lemon-lime characteristics, and perhaps a slight touch of sweetness. However I felt the flavour was a bit watered down - somehow diluted. Ultimately I found it a bit disappointing, and there are other Rieslings in this price bracket that are a big improvement on this.

Private Bin Riesling 2008
Marlborough, New Zealand
Waitrose
£5.99 (£7.99)
2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment